Forestry Management

Start Your Plan Today

Bob can meet with you on site to prepare a Conservation Activity Plan, Forest Management Plan or a Land-Use Plan. Land-Use Plans can help to lower taxes depending on the amount of acreage you own as well as your identified goals and objectives.

Also, you as a land owner may qualify for a federal program called EQIP. If approved, EQIP can assist with the cost of a Conservation Activity Plan and may provide cost-share for various practices such as wildlife habitat enhancement.

Components of a Plan

A properly written conservation activity or forest management plan incorporates the specific goals and objectives of the landowner for an identified woodland property. Site visits allow for data collection on the identified property and will include items such as identification of tree species and their diameters, topography, soils types, presence of species of interest, streams, etc. This site-specific information allows the forest to be mapped into different stands of trees. Management recommendations are then made for each stand based on the objectives of the landowner. The landowner is then advised as to how and when to start implementing the recommendations. For example, prior to conducting a timber harvest, control methods for invasive / non-native plant species such as Tree-of-Heaven may be prioritized.

Remember that a hardwood stand may take 80+ years to mature and requires both short- and long-term goals and can be done in a sustainable manner.


Private forest landowners can receive state and/or federal cost-share funds to help pay for implementing management recommendations. For example, EQIP or the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) is administered through the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) with the goal of promoting conservation practices on private lands. If you as a landowner are interested in improving your forest through management of invasive plant species, or creating better wildlife habitat for pollinators or songbirds such as the Golden-Winged Warbler, etc.  then EQIP may be able to help off set the cost of implementation.

CREP (Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program) funds may be available to you if you wish to improve the quality of a stream on your property by planting a riparian buffer of appropriate trees and vegetation. CREP is administered by the Farm Service Agency. There is a Virginia riparian forest buffer state tax credit.

Bob can discuss with you the variety of cost-share programs that may be available to you.

Get Started Today

Please contact Bob at 540-314-3771 or
to set up a site visit on your property.